By Gillian Young, Social Media Coordinator
While working at Project Skin MD, I fell in love with fitness.
I started going to the gym every day after work, trading late nights out for early morning workouts, and sipping on more protein shakes than my usual gin cocktails (which I still enjoy in moderation…).
I watched my mood improve and my body transform, but my skin? Well… it wasn’t doing so hot. My sweaty gym sessions were creating some breakouts, my outdoor runs were leading to sun damage, and losing body fat meant I was also losing volume in my cheeks.
Lucky for me, I was surrounded by all the right treatments, products, and experts so that I could get my glow on while maintaining my love of working out. Now, as a Certified Personal Trainer, I swear by and recommend the following to all of my clients to get the ultimate glow!
My top 10 tips for glowing skin:
1. Keep it clean. If you’re an oily girl like me, stock up on SkinCeuticals Blemish + Age Cleanser and use it to wash your face and even your bod (apply to a loofah to make it last) after every sweat session.
2. Tone your skin too. You can tone your body, and you can also tone your skin. SkinCeuticals Blemish + Age Solution is a great addition to your skincare routine to get extra squeaky clean. I like to spray a cotton pad and give my skin a wipe down after washing my face to make sure I get every last bit of grime.
3. Go high intensity on pimples. SkinCeuticals Blemish + Age Defense is my lifesaver. Every time a pimple starts to rear its ugly head, I plop this stuff on it and it’s gone by daylight. No hiding under heavy foundation at the gym for me. Speaking of which…
4. Skip the heavy foundation. A thick layer of foundation or BB cream at the gym not only looks overdone, it clogs your pores and can lead to breakouts. Ever since I switched to mineral makeup my skin has been a million times better! Read more about my switch here.
5. Antioxidants baby! SkinCeuticals Phloretin CF provides the skin with antioxidant protective benefits, improves the appearance of discolouration, fine lines, and uneven skin tone. I don’t leave the house without it on my face!
6. Sunscreen sunscreen sunscreen. SkinCeuticals’ Physical Fusion SPF 50 is the perfect addition to any outdoor workout. The light tint gives you a natural finish and the SPF 50 protects you from sun damage. Bonus points if you wear a cap!
7. Drink your collagen. While working out actually increases the production of collagen cells, you can boost it even more with withinUs TruMarine™ Collagen. I love taking this stuff in my morning lemon water or green tea, and find it helps with muscle soreness and joint pain as well.
8. Stay hydrated. When you’re getting your sweat on, you gotta drink up. Not only will it boost your performance in the gym, it will help your digestion and your skin!
9. Treat yo’ self to a peel. There is nothing in the world like a Project Skin MD facial. Ever since I discovered their clinical peels I have never looked back. With the express facials there is no excuse not to squeeze a customized peel into your schedule.
10. Consider injectables. If you’re losing a lot of volume in your cheeks or getting deep lines in your brow from that concentrated workout face – consider injectables. A small amount of BOTOX® and/or filler does wonders for lifting everything back to where it belongs!